Wednesday, June 22, 2005

What is 'Phishing'?

Phishing is the method of sending out fake emails written to appear as if they have been sent by banks or other companies like eBay, with the intent of getting the recipient to reveal sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, account IDs, ATM PINs or credit card details. Typically, phishing attacks will direct the recipient to a web page which will look exactly like the target organization’s webpage and have the same colors and logos. I once got an email which took me to a page that looked like an eBay webpage and asked me for my username and password. I figured it was a fake by looking at the web address on the browser address bar. It did not look anything like an eBay address although they did use the word eBay in the address just to throw people off guard. Be very careful about entering details on a page that is linked from an email. If you want to learn more about Phishing, click on the links below.

Wikipedia

How to Spot A Phishing Scam

Webopedia

4 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

The How To Spot A Phishing Scam link will definitely come in useful...

Thanks for adding a link to my blog by the way :-) It's much appreciated!

Thursday, June 23, 2005  
Blogger Ajay Shroff said...

You are welcome Nicole. Do send me an email at ajshroff@rediffmail.com if you have any suggestions for the blog.

Friday, June 24, 2005  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I've been phished. Grrr. I caught it both times, thankfully. Mine were supposedly from ebay, too. One went to an address that I don't use often and wouldn't have used for ebay, but the first one really surprised me at first, and I almost bit.

Monday, June 27, 2005  
Blogger Ajay Shroff said...

I am glad you didnt. They can look so decieving.

Monday, June 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home